Navision is now Business Central
If you're familiar with Microsoft's ERP software, the name 'Navision' probably rings a bell as well. Chances are, however, that you have never heard of ‘Business Central’ before.
- 2002 - Microsoft acquires Navision
- 2005 - Rebranding to Microsoft Dynamics NAV
- 2018 - Dynamics NAV becomes Dynamics 365 Business Central
- What version are you running?
2002 - Microsoft acquires Navision
Originally, Navision was a suite of accounting applications created by a Danish software company and distributed in several European countries. In 2002, Microsoft acquired Navision as part of its business solutions for small to medium-sized companies.
2005 - Rebranding to Microsoft Dynamics NAV
In 2005, Microsoft rebranded the product and changed the name to Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Meanwhile however, the product had evolved from being a simple accounting software to a full-fledged ERP software, delivering integrated functionalities for:
- Project & Resource Management
- CRM & Sales
2018 - Dynamics NAV becomes Dynamics 365 Business Central
In 2018, Dynamics NAV became part of Microsoft's Dynamics 365 universe and starts running under the name Business Central.
Dynamics 365 Business Central includes several new features, including an improved user interface, enhanced Excel integration, improved security, and greater compliance with the General Personal Data Regulation (GDPR).
What version are you running?
Over the years, Navision has undergone significant developments. Here is a summarized overview of the versions over the years. Chances are, some of you might still be running older versions of the software.
- 1990 – Navision 3.00
- 1992 – Navision 3.55, the last DOS version
- 1995 – Navision Navigator Financials 0.90, the first Windows version
- 1999 – Navision Financials 2.60, with SQL database option
- 2001 – Navision Attain 3.10
- 2002 – Microsoft Business Solutions Navision 3.60
- 2003 – Microsoft Business Solutions Navision 3.70
- 2005 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.0
- 2007 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0
- 2008 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009
- 2011 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 release two
- 2012 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 7
- 2013 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013
- 2014 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015, with cloud functionalities
- 2015 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016, with mobile app & office 365
- 2016 – Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2017
- 2018 – Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
Talk to an expert
You can't find your version in this list, or you're not sure what version you're using?
In need for more info or support? Reach out via email, chat, or schedule a free session with one of our experts for advice & support.